SMWD services are seen by DWL as the 'mud logging' services of the future. Cost effective, realtime services that can be used on every well to improve geologic certainty and drive efficiency in planning, drilling, and completions.
HYBRID MUD LOGGING
Diversified Well Logging has always prided itself in delivering the best quality data to our clients. Recognizing that quantitative geological data is necessary for accurate geosteering, reliable well to well correlation, well positioning, and spacing, all with a view to enhancing production over the life of the well or field, Diversified offers one of our newest services - Hybrid Mud Logging which aims to take quality of data delivery to a level and price unmatched by our peers.
- Variable ROP in the ‘same’ formation
- Variable hole stability in the ‘same’ formation
- Uncertainty of being in the correct target zone
- Variable stimulation performance between wells
- Variable production between wells
- Well spacing and ‘Parent/Child’ well interference
- Seismic – poor resolution for geosteering
- MWD – limited geologic value through GR
- LWD – expensive with risk of tool loss
- Wireline – costly with limited use in horizontals
- Coring – excellent data but costly and slow
- Mud Logging – qualitative data only but economical
OVERCOMING THE CHALLENGES
For all of these challenges there is one overriding solution; the acquisition of more geological data to better understand what is happening. Data for geologic and A.I. modelling, well correlation, trend observation, and well planning.
MUST WE ACCEPT THE STATUS QUO?
The current solutions are either inadequate for in-depth, field-wide analysis or are far too expensive in today’s cost-challenged environment to be used extensively. But is accepting the status quo the only answer?
HYBRID MUD LOGGING DELIVERS
- Quantitative elemental XRF data
- Consistent and comparable data from well to well
- Reliably modelled lithology as standard
- No more subjective percentages and descriptions
- Digital images of rock samples
- Images taken pre-analysis
- Up to 50 samples caught and analyzed with XRF per day
- Realtime total gas and chromatograph data as standard
- Mass spectrometry a recommended option
- Twice daily digital reports and logs
- Reduction in personnel onsite
- Compared to full onsite XRF+Mudlogging
- Reduction in HSE risk
By using Hybrid Mud Logging, the full potential of drilled cuttings is available. All realtime data can be used by our A.I. and machine learning software to enhance drilling efficiency, completion optimization with production forecasting and simulation. The data gathered is instantly valuable in itself; what the data can add to well spacing, completion strategies and long-term field production is invaluable.
- Realtime modelled mineralogical and lithological logs including formation gas, drilling parameters, downhole gamma ray and elemental gamma ray. Cuttings images and descriptions may also be added.
- Excel or ASCII files of all elemental data - major and trace elements - including the regular quality checks performed by our field geologists.
- Ongoing elemental analysis and chemostratigraphy to increase geologic certainty. In addition there is TOC, matrix density, brittleness modelling.
- All data is delivered to our geosteering team for Elemental Steering services, with constant communication between the client, our chemostratigraphic analysts and the geosteering team.
While drilling, elemental data may also be used with our A.I. software to enhance drilling efficiency. This same data can also help completion design and production forecasting. HML delivers value.
(Also see our Geochemistry page).
To learn more or to request a quote, CONTACT DWL
Diversified Well Logging has steered over 15 Million feet of hole at a greater than 90% in-zone success rate over the past 8 years using traditional GR curves to guide us.
Building on this expertise we now add elemental data from cuttings to steer wells with greater confidence, staying in-zone and avoiding hazards with known elemental profiles designed by our chemostratigraphic experts.
Real-time elemental data - binaries - are incorporated that better define stratigraphic packages and formation tops. Elements also mitigate the measure of uncertainty that GR data exhibits in certain formations. Unexpected faulting, carbonate flows, and otherwise invisible changes in shale mineralogy can all be identified and steered through or around.
Using HML-XRF - the power of cuttings data - with Elemental Steering, your geological knowledge is greatly increased as is the certainty of correct geo-positioning. Both will lead to improved completion strategies and profitability.
Where tighter target zones are ever more common, and traditional gamma ray tools may fail or lack definition, Elemental Steering will keep the wellbore where it needs to be.
Elemental Steering is also the best option when LWD is not an option due to expense or when drilling small hole sizes, for example with Coiled-Tubing and Underbalanced Drilling scenarios.
Using SMWD services brings the benefit of extensive quantitative data at a price that allows it to be used on every well drilled. Quality, reliability, knowledge, and value far exceeding investment define all our SMWD services.
For more information or to request a quote, CONTACT DWL
(1) Fault identification in Eagleford allowed confident decision to steer back to target zone resulting in 3000 feet of additional reservoir drilled.
(2) Chemostratigraphy picks enhance steering and improve confidence in well positioning where GR is not definitive. Elemental Steering may be the only option when LWD is not an option.
(3) Elemental Steering with SMWD datasets allow optimization of completion design and production forecasting thanks to high quality, quantitative data and A.I. software capability.